Gunmen kill 2 Chinese workers in northeast Nigeria
Maiduguri: Gunmen have shot dead two Chinese construction workers in northeast Nigeria, a region under assault by a radical Islamist sect.
Authorities initially blamed the killings yesterday on the sect known as Boko Haram. However, the group did not claim responsibility for the attack, which saw gunmen intercept the Chinese workers` truck and open fire on them at the town of Benisheik.
Borno state police commissioner Yuguda Abdullahi acknowledged the killings happened, but declined to comment further.
Other Chinese workers have been killed in recent weeks in northeast Nigeria, prompting the Chinese government to contact Nigerian officials and ask them to provide better protection for their citizens.
An Associated Press count shows Boko Haram is blamed for killing more than 730 people this year alone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room