Gunmen kill 2 in northern Nigeria
Abuja: Two persons, including an Islamic cleric, were killed on Monday by members of a radical sect in Borno State of Nigeria, police said.
"Two gunmen joined our mosque for the early morning prayers, when one of us was shot at a close range and slumped dead," a resident of the town said.
Another resident said that two hours after the incident, a local Islamic cleric was trailed to a mosque by some gunmen who opened fire at worshippers.
Police spokesman in the state Gideon Jibrin confirmed the incident.
"The attacks occurred on Monday and early hours of Tuesday. The police headquarters received the reports from the Biu police area commander indicating that two persons, including an Islamic cleric were killed by unknown gunmen, suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect." he said.
He said no arrest was made, but was confident that information provided to the police would assist in trailing and arresting the culprits.
An Islamic fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram, carries out frequent attacks in northern Nigeria.
The group has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria’s northern cities in their bid to install an Islamic emirate in the country.
In several of the sects attacks, bombs, suicide bombers and drive by gun shots have been used to kill hundreds of people.
The oil-rich African country has a population of 150 million equally divided among Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested