Gunmen kill 21 in northern Nigerian village
Abuja: Gunmen attacked a village in Nigeria`s northern Zamfara state, killing at least 21 people in what authorities suspect to be armed robbery raid.
A local government spokesman Nuhu Salihu Anka said the men, 12 in number, all armed with guns besieged the Kaboro village yesterday and demanded money from the residents.
They shot dead the village chief and 20 others.
"After several people had been killed, the area`s chief appealed to the gunmen to stop firing but they turned their weapons on him instead," a witness said.
Some states in northern Nigeria are becoming increasingly volatile due to attacks by gunmen and robbers.
Last Sunday, over 10 worshippers were killed and 100 others wounded when a suicide bomber attacked St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area another northern city of Kaduna.
The attacks are blamed on Islamic fundamentalist group, Boko Haram which want to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria. They`re also suspected of using robbery as a means of raising funds for their operations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference