Gunmen kill 21 in northern Nigerian village
Abuja: Gunmen attacked a village in Nigeria`s northern Zamfara state, killing at least 21 people in what authorities suspect to be armed robbery raid.
A local government spokesman Nuhu Salihu Anka said the men, 12 in number, all armed with guns besieged the Kaboro village yesterday and demanded money from the residents.
They shot dead the village chief and 20 others.
"After several people had been killed, the area`s chief appealed to the gunmen to stop firing but they turned their weapons on him instead," a witness said.
Some states in northern Nigeria are becoming increasingly volatile due to attacks by gunmen and robbers.
Last Sunday, over 10 worshippers were killed and 100 others wounded when a suicide bomber attacked St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area another northern city of Kaduna.
The attacks are blamed on Islamic fundamentalist group, Boko Haram which want to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria. They`re also suspected of using robbery as a means of raising funds for their operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown