Gunmen kill 21 in northern Nigerian village
Abuja: Gunmen attacked a village in Nigeria`s northern Zamfara state, killing at least 21 people in what authorities suspect to be armed robbery raid.
A local government spokesman Nuhu Salihu Anka said the men, 12 in number, all armed with guns besieged the Kaboro village yesterday and demanded money from the residents.
They shot dead the village chief and 20 others.
"After several people had been killed, the area`s chief appealed to the gunmen to stop firing but they turned their weapons on him instead," a witness said.
Some states in northern Nigeria are becoming increasingly volatile due to attacks by gunmen and robbers.
Last Sunday, over 10 worshippers were killed and 100 others wounded when a suicide bomber attacked St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area another northern city of Kaduna.
The attacks are blamed on Islamic fundamentalist group, Boko Haram which want to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria. They`re also suspected of using robbery as a means of raising funds for their operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP