Gunmen kill 21 in northern Nigerian village
Abuja: Gunmen attacked a village in Nigeria`s northern Zamfara state, killing at least 21 people in what authorities suspect to be armed robbery raid.
A local government spokesman Nuhu Salihu Anka said the men, 12 in number, all armed with guns besieged the Kaboro village yesterday and demanded money from the residents.
They shot dead the village chief and 20 others.
"After several people had been killed, the area`s chief appealed to the gunmen to stop firing but they turned their weapons on him instead," a witness said.
Some states in northern Nigeria are becoming increasingly volatile due to attacks by gunmen and robbers.
Last Sunday, over 10 worshippers were killed and 100 others wounded when a suicide bomber attacked St Rita`s Catholic Church in Malali area another northern city of Kaduna.
The attacks are blamed on Islamic fundamentalist group, Boko Haram which want to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria. They`re also suspected of using robbery as a means of raising funds for their operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof