Gunmen kill 30 in central Nigeria attack: Locals
Jos: Gunmen killed about 30 people in a morning raid on two villages in central Nigeria, witnesses said on Tuesday, in the latest violence to hit the region.
The police in Plateau state, which has been hit by repeated communal violence, confirmed the attack but could not provide details of casualties.
One witness, Rufus Gyang, said the attack happened at about 3:00 am (0200 GMT) and the gunmen "started shooting sporadically, killing innocent villagers in their sleep".
Nineteen people were killed in Rajat and 11 in Atakar villages, all in the Riyom local government area of the state, he added.
More than 60 houses were razed in the attack, while tens of others were injured, he added.
Local lawmaker Daniel Dem confirmed the killing and added that two of the victims were security agents deployed to the area.
Authorities said last month that ethnic Fulani herdsmen were suspected of killing 34 people in a similar raid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation