Gunmen kill 5 Sunni worshippers in Iraq
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say that gunmen have stormed a Sunni mosque in Baghdad, killing five people.
Police officials said the attackers entered the building in Baghdad`s southeastern neighborhood of New Baghdad and shot at Sunni worshippers who were performing today`s dawn prayers.
Police said the gunmen used weapons fitted with silencers. They said two other worshippers were wounded.
Medics in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Most attacks on civilians in recent years have been the work of Sunni extremist groups such as al Qaeda. But attacks on Sunni mosques have been on the rise in recent months, raising fears that Shiite armed groups are starting to retaliate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?