Gunmen kill 5 Sunni worshippers in Iraq
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say that gunmen have stormed a Sunni mosque in Baghdad, killing five people.
Police officials said the attackers entered the building in Baghdad`s southeastern neighborhood of New Baghdad and shot at Sunni worshippers who were performing today`s dawn prayers.
Police said the gunmen used weapons fitted with silencers. They said two other worshippers were wounded.
Medics in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Most attacks on civilians in recent years have been the work of Sunni extremist groups such as al Qaeda. But attacks on Sunni mosques have been on the rise in recent months, raising fears that Shiite armed groups are starting to retaliate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?