Gunmen kill 5 Sunni worshippers in Iraq
Baghdad: Iraqi authorities say that gunmen have stormed a Sunni mosque in Baghdad, killing five people.
Police officials said the attackers entered the building in Baghdad`s southeastern neighborhood of New Baghdad and shot at Sunni worshippers who were performing today`s dawn prayers.
Police said the gunmen used weapons fitted with silencers. They said two other worshippers were wounded.
Medics in a nearby hospital confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Most attacks on civilians in recent years have been the work of Sunni extremist groups such as al Qaeda. But attacks on Sunni mosques have been on the rise in recent months, raising fears that Shiite armed groups are starting to retaliate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4
- High-speed Spanish Talgo train begins trial run, to be introduced on Delhi-Mumbai route
- Want to improve your sex life? Ditch tampons for menstrual cups!
- Batla House encounter: BJP protests outside Sonia Gandhi's residence
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief