Gunmen kill 9 police, villagers in Philippines
Manila: Gunmen ambushed a truckload of policemen and village guards who helped guard a village festival, killing nine and wounding two others day in a mountainous central Philippine province, officials said.
The gunmen raked the victims` truck with rifle fire before dawn in the foothills of Mount Kanlaon in La Castellana town in Negros Occidental province. Among the dead were a police officer and several village guards, police officer Gary Genelaso said by telephone.
Police set up road checkpoints and launched a manhunt for the attackers, Genelaso said.
Army and police officials said the attackers may have been communist New People`s Army guerrillas or armed men from an illegal logging syndicate.
The killings are the latest in a flurry of gun violence that has revived calls for tighter gun controls. The country has long grappled with communist and Muslim insurgencies, crime and armed groups controlled by politicians, warlords and powerful families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh