Gunmen kill five soldiers, two civilians in Indonesia
Jayapura (Indonesia): Unidentified gunmen shot and killed seven people on Thursday in two separate attacks against the Indonesian Army in the restive easternmost province of Papua, a military spokesman said.
Rear Adm Iskandar Sitompul said assailants armed with guns and machetes ambushed an Army vehicle, killing three sergeants, one private and two civilians.
Earlier in the day, another attack on an Army post in the same area killed an Army private and wounded a lieutenant, Sitompul said.
He believed the same group of more than 20 gunmen was responsible for both attacks in Tinggi Nambut, a village in the mountainous district of Puncak Jaya.
The area is a stronghold of separatists who have battled Indonesian rule in the impoverished region for more than 40 years.
"They are believed to be old players who always try to disturb the situation there," Sitompul said.
The former Dutch colony of Papua was incorporated into Indonesia in 1969. The poorly armed Free Papua Movement has battled for independence since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison