Gunmen kill provincial Afghan election chief: Officials
Kunduz (Afghanistan): Assassins on a motorbike gunned down a senior election official in northern Afghanistan on Wednesday, raising fears that the presidential vote due in April will trigger a surge in violence.
Amanullah Aman, the head of the Independent Election Commission (IEC) in Kunduz province, was killed by unknown gunmen outside his home in Kunduz city.
He was the first election official killed since candidate nominations opened on Monday. All potential runners in the wide-open race to succeed President Hamid Karzai must declare themselves by October 6.
"Aman was shot dead in the morning in front of his house as he was leaving for his office," Kunduz provincial spokesman Enayatullah Khaliq told AFP.
"Two men on motorcycles opened fire on his car and severely wounded him, he later died in the hospital."
Deputy police chief Ebadullah Talwar confirmed the death, adding that Aman was murdered in Kunduz city after going grocery shopping and was not accompanied by any bodyguards.
Kunduz is in the more peaceful north of Afghanistan, but it is a hotbed of Islamist insurgent activity.
The province, which borders on Tajikistan, is also a major route for drug trafficking and has a volatile mix of rival ethnic groups and armed militia.
Taliban rebels, who are opposed to the elections, have often targeted government officials across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final