Gunmen kill senior Dagestan lawman: Report
Moscow: A senior security police officer was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Russia`s troubled Northern Caucasus region of Dagestan on Sunday, the state-controlled RIA news agency said.
The incident occurred three days after an explosion killed at least 16 in a marketplace of neighbouring North Ossetia.
RIA, citing a police spokesman, said Gapal Gadzhiyev, head of the North Caucasus` Federal District`s Anti-Extremism police department, was killed in his car in the Dagestani capital of Makhachkala.
Thursday`s explosion in the North Ossetia capital of Vladikavkaz also injured more than 100 people.
The Kremlin is still grappling with Islamist insurgents in the Caucasus a decade after federal forces drove separatists from power in Chechnya.
Human rights groups say poverty, corruption and abusive conduct by government forces in the North Caucasus stokes anger toward the authorities and fuels the insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef