Gunmen kill senior Dagestan lawman: Report
Moscow: A senior security police officer was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Russia`s troubled Northern Caucasus region of Dagestan on Sunday, the state-controlled RIA news agency said.
The incident occurred three days after an explosion killed at least 16 in a marketplace of neighbouring North Ossetia.
RIA, citing a police spokesman, said Gapal Gadzhiyev, head of the North Caucasus` Federal District`s Anti-Extremism police department, was killed in his car in the Dagestani capital of Makhachkala.
Thursday`s explosion in the North Ossetia capital of Vladikavkaz also injured more than 100 people.
The Kremlin is still grappling with Islamist insurgents in the Caucasus a decade after federal forces drove separatists from power in Chechnya.
Human rights groups say poverty, corruption and abusive conduct by government forces in the North Caucasus stokes anger toward the authorities and fuels the insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister