Gunmen kill senior Dagestan lawman: Report
Moscow: A senior security police officer was shot dead by unknown gunmen in Russia`s troubled Northern Caucasus region of Dagestan on Sunday, the state-controlled RIA news agency said.
The incident occurred three days after an explosion killed at least 16 in a marketplace of neighbouring North Ossetia.
RIA, citing a police spokesman, said Gapal Gadzhiyev, head of the North Caucasus` Federal District`s Anti-Extremism police department, was killed in his car in the Dagestani capital of Makhachkala.
Thursday`s explosion in the North Ossetia capital of Vladikavkaz also injured more than 100 people.
The Kremlin is still grappling with Islamist insurgents in the Caucasus a decade after federal forces drove separatists from power in Chechnya.
Human rights groups say poverty, corruption and abusive conduct by government forces in the North Caucasus stokes anger toward the authorities and fuels the insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi