Gunmen kill six in eastern Kenya town of Garissa
Nairobi: Gunmen in the volatile eastern Kenya town of Garissa today shot and killed six people, police said.
"Six people have been killed after people armed with guns stormed a hotel," a police officer said. He added that a security operation was underway to track the attackers.
The officer said that nine other people had been injured in the attack. Regional police chief Charlton Mureithi confirmed the incident but could not give more details.
Guns are common in the impoverished northeastern region, which hosts more than 5,00,000 Somali refugees.
Kenya has been hit by a wave of grenade and gun attacks ? often blamed on sympathisers of Somalia`s Shebab Islamist fighters ? since its army went into Somalia last year to flush out the al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.
In January, four people were reported killed and six seriously wounded when gunmen attacked another hotel restaurant in Garissa.
The Shebab has never claimed responsibility for these attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi