Gunmen kill six in eastern Kenya town of Garissa
Nairobi: Gunmen in the volatile eastern Kenya town of Garissa today shot and killed six people, police said.
"Six people have been killed after people armed with guns stormed a hotel," a police officer said. He added that a security operation was underway to track the attackers.
The officer said that nine other people had been injured in the attack. Regional police chief Charlton Mureithi confirmed the incident but could not give more details.
Guns are common in the impoverished northeastern region, which hosts more than 5,00,000 Somali refugees.
Kenya has been hit by a wave of grenade and gun attacks ? often blamed on sympathisers of Somalia`s Shebab Islamist fighters ? since its army went into Somalia last year to flush out the al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.
In January, four people were reported killed and six seriously wounded when gunmen attacked another hotel restaurant in Garissa.
The Shebab has never claimed responsibility for these attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!