Gunmen kill two road safety officials in Nigeria
Abuja: Gunmen suspected to be members of radical Islamic group Boko Haram on Wednesday shot dead two officers of the Nigerian Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and injured one in northern city of Kano.
"Two officers died instantly, while one sustained bullet wounds, but a fourth person survived the attack unhurt," FRSC sector commander Shehu Alkali Zaki said.
Zaki said the incident occurred at Madobi road near Sani Abacha Youth Centre and caused panic in the city.
The attack came barely 24 hours after gunmen killed two policemen on Polio Immunization exercise at Kofar Dawanau quarters of Dala local government area of the metropolis.
Commissioner of Police Ibrahim Idris who confirmed the attack on FRSC men said his men have arrested eight suspects in connection with yesterday`s attack on policemen.
"We are on the lookout for the killers of the FRSC men and I assure that my men will soon round them up. We have also put in more effort on our desire to fight terrorism in the state," he said.
Such killings in northern Nigeria are blamed on Boko Haram which wants to install a Sharia government. The group has killed over 1000 people by suicide bombings, shootings and planting explosives since its violent campaigns started in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living