Gunmen shoot dead Mexican mayor in troubled state
Mexico: Gunmen killed the mayor of a town in the troubled Mexican state of Michoacan on Saturday, more than a year after he had survived a previous assassination attempt, officials said.
"With deep consternation and indignation, I strongly condemn the cowardly murder of Gustavo Garibay Garcia, mayor of Tanhuato," Michoacan Governor Fausto Vallejo said on Twitter.
Garibay Garcia, who survived a similar attempt on his life in October 2012, was shot dead as he left home.
The Knights Templar gang has taken hold of much of Michoacan`s economy, demanding protection payments from farmers and shopkeepers as well as extracting iron ore that they then export to China.
Fed up with the failure of local police to curb the drug cartel`s reign of violence and extortion, civilians began to form vigilante units more than a year ago in the western state`s Tierra Caliente farming area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre