Gurdwara shooter was `white supremacist skinhead`
Washington: America`s premier civil rights group has urged authorities to probe the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting incident as a "potential hate crime”.
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL), who had been tracking the alleged gunman, Wade Michael Page, 41, for quite some time now, alleged he was a "white supremacist skinhead" and a leader of "End Apathy", a white power music band affiliated with the Hammerskins, a longstanding hardcore racist skinhead group with a history of violence an hate crimes.
"We are deeply shocked by this heinous act of violence against peaceful innocent Americans targeted at their house of worship, apparently singled out because of their faith and appearance that makes them appear different from other Americans," said Abraham H Foxman, ADL national director.
"We strongly condemn violence against any religious group and we are confident that federal, state and local law enforcement officials are closely examining the possibility that this was a hate crime," he said.
Page, who sometimes referred to himself by the pseudonym "Jack Boot”, is festooned with white supremacist tattoos, including a Nazi Death`s Head tattoo and a Hammerskins tattoo, ADL said.
According to ADL, his band has been featured at many Hammerskin-organised white power music concerts in recent years, including the August 2010 "Meet & Greet BBQ & Bands in North Carolina, the Hammerskins` St Patty`s Day Show in March 2011 in Orlando, Florida, and Hammerfest 2011 in October 2011, also in Orlando.
"Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, ADL and law enforcement officials have documented many apparent `backlash crimes` directed at Muslim, Sikh, and Arab Americans," Foxman said.
"We have raised concern about a spike in bigotry against Muslims and others perceived to be of Middle Eastern origin.”
“This attack is another gruesome reminder that bigotry and hate against those whose religion makes them `different or other` can have deadly consequences," he added.
According to ADL, the US Department of Justice has investigated over 800 incidents since 9/11 involving violence, threats, vandalism and arson against Arab-Americans, Muslims, Sikhs, South-Asian Americans and other individuals perceived to be of Middle Eastern origin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi