Gurdwara shooting: FBI begins probe
Wisconsin, US: A white man with a 9/11 tattoo, that’s how the coldblooded killer who shot dead six persons at a Gurdwara in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek, Wisconsin was described by eyewitnesses.
The 40-year-old man is said to be a resident of the same neighbourhood, entered the Gurdwara from the kitchen side with a gun, when food was being prepared for Sunday community lunch, and started firing indiscriminately. By the time the police arrived and engaged him in a gun fight, he had shot dead 6 persons and injured at least 10.
The senseless killer was shot dead by the police.
The man has not been identified by name; he was wearing a white T-shirt and army fatigue pants. Police are searching his home; no motive has been ascertained yet.
It is feared that it was hate crime but no official confirmation is unavailable at the moment.
The FBI, which would be probing the case, has termed it as a "domestic terrorist-type incident".
US President Barack Obama was also briefed by his counter-terrorism advisor John Brennan on the situation and the White House is seized of the matter, US officials said.
Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao said that an official has been deputed to rush to the site to ascertain the situation on-the-spot.
"The Embassy is seized of the situation and has been in touch with the National Security Council in Washington," she said.
The Oak Creek Gurdwara opened in 2007 and has a congregation of more than 350, while America is home to 700,000 Sikhs.
The shooting comes 16 days after 12 were killed and 58 wounded in a shooting in Colorado at a premiere of the latest Batman movie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks