Gurdwara shooting: Michelle to meet victims` families
Washington: In an effort to reach out to the Sikh Community, US first lady Michelle Obama will on Thursday meet the families of the victims of the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting.
The first lady is scheduled to travel to Milwaukee on August 23 as part of the Obama administration`s efforts to reach out to the Sikh community shattered by the August 05 shooting at the Oak Creek Gurdwara, the White House has announced last week.
Michelle Obama would be meeting the victims and family members of those who were killed in the tragic incident, it said.
Welcoming the "kind gesture" from the first family, Rajwant Singh, the chairman of the Sikh Council, said: "It is great to hear that the first lady will be comforting the families devastated by the violence in the Sikh Gurdwaras motivated by hate."
"It is important that these families hear firsthand how she and the President feel about this terrible tragedy," he said in an e-mailed statement.
"It is indeed critical that the top leadership acts in such a dignified manner to heal the raw wounds of the families and the entire Sikh community," Singh said.
"A visit by the first lady will be reassuring and heartening and it will be powerful symbol of President Obama embracing the Sikhs at this serious juncture," he said.
Singh called it "not a Sikh tragedy but an American tragedy".
Six worshippers, including four Indians, were killed and four others, including a police officer, were injured in the shooting by an alleged white supremacist, Wade Michael Page, who later killed himself.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing