Gurdwara shooting: Michelle to meet victims` families
Washington: In an effort to reach out to the Sikh Community, US first lady Michelle Obama will on Thursday meet the families of the victims of the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting.
The first lady is scheduled to travel to Milwaukee on August 23 as part of the Obama administration`s efforts to reach out to the Sikh community shattered by the August 05 shooting at the Oak Creek Gurdwara, the White House has announced last week.
Michelle Obama would be meeting the victims and family members of those who were killed in the tragic incident, it said.
Welcoming the "kind gesture" from the first family, Rajwant Singh, the chairman of the Sikh Council, said: "It is great to hear that the first lady will be comforting the families devastated by the violence in the Sikh Gurdwaras motivated by hate."
"It is important that these families hear firsthand how she and the President feel about this terrible tragedy," he said in an e-mailed statement.
"It is indeed critical that the top leadership acts in such a dignified manner to heal the raw wounds of the families and the entire Sikh community," Singh said.
"A visit by the first lady will be reassuring and heartening and it will be powerful symbol of President Obama embracing the Sikhs at this serious juncture," he said.
Singh called it "not a Sikh tragedy but an American tragedy".
Six worshippers, including four Indians, were killed and four others, including a police officer, were injured in the shooting by an alleged white supremacist, Wade Michael Page, who later killed himself.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security