Gurdwara shooting: Over 1 crore rupees raised for victims
Washington: In 10 days after the tragic shootout that killed six worshippers and left three others injured, Sikh community in Wisconsin have raised over Rs 1.4 crores for the victims’ families.
"It`s an outpouring of support. We are overwhelmed," Dr Kulwant S Dhaliwal from Sikh Temple of Wisconsin said.
The memorial fund drive for the families of victims has reached its 85 per cent of the target amount of USD 3,000 in just 10 days, Dhaliwal said.
The temple authorities had initially planned to raise the fund in 90 days.
The money would be given to victim`s families and would also be given to those who were injured, Dhaliwal said, adding that donations are coming from all over the country and also from Punjab, and other cities in Britain and Canada.
"It is an unexpected response," he said.
In addition to the online fund raising efforts by the Wisconsin Gurdwara, which as of yesterday was USD 254,088; donations are coming from other sources and organizations also, he said.
For instance the Punjab Chief Minister, Prakash Singh Badal, who attended the memorial service and stayed in Wisconsin, has announced Rs 5 lakh each to each of the victims` families, Dhaliwal said.
The Sacramento Sikh Temple in California said it has sent USD 11,000 to the Wisconsin Gurdwara to benefit the victims, including law enforcement.
Meanwhile the family of the Gurdwara president Satwant Singh Kaleka, which had set up the website for online donation, said, they will not take the money.
Kaleka was shot and killed while heroically attempting to take down the shooter.
Instead, 100 per cent of all contributions will go directly to lower-income families who lost loved ones, those injured in the shooting, and to repairing the temple, said an announcement on the website.
Six members of the 400-person congregation were shot and killed at the Oak Creek Sikh Temple on August 5, in what officials are treating as a case of domestic terrorism.
"In this hour of grief, we thank the thousands of people around the globe who have offered their support and their prayers, and we encourage them to support those victims and families who are most in need.
Together, we must work to repair our community and finally address the epidemic of violence in America," said Amardeep Kaleka, the son of Satwant Singh Kaleka and founder of the website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla