Gurdwara shooting: US flags to fly half mast till Aug 10
Washington: As federal investigators searched for a motive for Sunday`s attack on a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin, President Barack Obama ordered the US flag to be flown at half mast until Aug 10 in honour of the victims.
He also called for a "soul searching" to find ways to reduce violence in America as these kinds of terrible, tragic events were happening with too much regularity.
"All of us are heartbroken by what`s happened," Obama told reporters Monday after a bill signing ceremony at the Oval office when asked if he would push for further gun control measures in the wake of the killings at the gurdwara in Oak Creeks.
"I think all of us recognize that these kinds of terrible, tragic events are happening with too much regularity for us not to do some soul-searching and to examine additional ways that we can reduce violence," he said.
While, it was not yet fully know what motivated the gunman to carry out this terrible act, Obama said Americans would "recoil" in shock if it turns out, as some early reports indicate, that it may have been motivated in some way by the ethnicity of the worshippers.
"I think it will be very important for us to reaffirm once again that, in this country, regardless of what we look like, where we come from, who we worship, we are all one people, and we look after one another and we respect one another," he said.
Earlier, at a White House briefing Press Secretary Jay Carney also parried a question about the push for gun control recalling that Obama had made clear that his administration will provide all necessary support in response to the incident.
Carney acknowledged that "Sikhs have been targeted in America in the past, since 9/11, because they have been believed to be Muslims" and said violence "whether it`s against Sikhs or Muslims, this is clearly horrible and unacceptable."
At the State Department Spokesperson Patrick Ventrell said Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who is currently in South Africa had spoken to Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna over the phone on the gurdwara shooting.
US Under Secretary of State Wendy Sherman also telephoned India`s Ambassador Nirupama Rao "to condemn this tragedy and convey our deep sympathy and condolences".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India