Gurdwara vandalised in US; word terrorist scrawled on its wall
Los Angeles: A Gurdwara in California has been vandalised and the word "terrorist" scrawled on its walls in an apparent hate crime, days ahead of the first anniversary of the Oak Creek Gurdwara shooting in Wisconsin.
"The Sikh Gurdwara in Riverside was vandalised on the night of July 29 in an apparent hate crime. The word `terrorist` was spray-painted around the complex," the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF) said.
The group said it has been in direct contact with Riverside County Sheriff Department, the Riverside Police Department, the FBI and Department of Justice CRS urging them to investigate the incident as a hate crime.
"It is horrible to see an attack of hate on a place of worship as we reflect on the lives lost one year ago during the attack on the Oak Creek Gurdwara," said SALDEF Executive Director Jasjit Singh.
A year ago on August 5, 2012, six Sikh worshippers were shot dead by a US Army veteran and white supremacist, Wade Michael Page, who went on a shooting rampage in the Gurdwara in Oak Creek.
"Attacks and vandalism against any of the nation`s houses of worship must be condemned by all Americans. These acts strike the very foundation of religious tolerance, a fundamental freedom this country was built upon," he said.
"We call upon local and federal law enforcement agencies to rightfully classify this incident as a hate crime and bring the perpetrators to justice to show that hate and violence are not tolerated in our society," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'