Guyana couple gets 5 years for trafficking 4 girls
Kingston: A Guyana court has imposed the maximum sentence on a couple for luring four girls to a remote jungle area and forcing them to work as prostitutes in a mining camp.
Wesley Hart and common-law wife Candace Anderson were each sentenced to five years for taking the girls to Guyana`s Cuyuni region to work as prostitutes. The children`s exact ages were not immediately available.
The girls were rescued by an association for women miners. Simona Broomes heads the association that travels to Guyana`s mining camps to rescue underage girls working as prostitutes.
Broomes today said that her group`s members were at court "every day to give evidence" in the case.
The US State Department this year honored Broomes for her work in fighting human trafficking in the South American country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why