Gwadar deal conducive to maintaining regional stability: China
Beijing: A day after taking over the management of Pakistan`s strategic Gwadar port, China on Tuesday said the move was "conducive" to maintaining regional stability and development and enhance bilateral cooperation.
"The transfer of the managing rights is a business project that falls under trade and economic cooperation conducted between China and Pakistan," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters.
The two countries officially signed an agreement on transferring the management rights of the Gwadar Port on the Arabian sea to state-owned China Overseas Port Holdings Limited in Islamabad yesterday.
While the port will remain the property of Pakistan, the company will fully assume responsibility for the port in Balochistan province and share profits from its operation.
Asked to comment on the strategic significance of the deal, Hong said, "Boosting China-Pakistan cooperation is not only in the interests of both countries, but also conducive to maintaining regional stability and development."
"Chinese companies have long been actively cooperating with Pakistan in multiple areas," Hong was quoted as saying by the state-run Xinhua news agency.
The development of a trade corridor linking Xinjiang to the Middle East through Gwadar port will enhance trade between the two countries and in the region, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari said yesterday at the signing ceremony.
Gwadar has strategic importance for China as around 60 per cent of its crude oil comes from Gulf countries that are close to Gwadar, he said.
Beijing provided about 75 per cent of the initial funding of USD 250 million for building the port.
On January 30, the Pakistan government had approved the transfer of the management of Gwadar port from Singapore to China, which played a key role in its construction.
Pakistan`s decision to hand over the Gwadar port to China is a matter of "serious concern" for India, Defence Minister AK Antony had said earlier this month.
"Chinese are now constructing that port on Pakistan`s request. In one sentence, I can say that it is a matter of concern to us. My answer is simple and straightforward," he had said.
Beijing has been working to develop a string of harbours in the Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea.
It has funded ports in Sri Lanka and has been approached to help build a port in Bangladesh.
Gwadar port is situated at a strategic location at the apex of the Arabian Sea and the mouth of the Persian Gulf. It is about 400 kms away from the Strait of Hormuz, a gateway for a third of the world`s traded oil, overland through an expanded Karakoram Highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues