H5N1 scare in Nepal, hundreds of birds culled
Kathmandu: Hundreds of birds have been culled in central Nepal after the presence of bird flu virus was confirmed at a poultry farm.
Animal health officials decided to cull all birds and destroy eggs suspected to be infected with a strain of H5N1 virus in Bhaktapur district, 15 km east of the capital Kathmandu.
Tests at the farm had confirmed the presence of bird flu virus in the chicken.
Directorate of Animal Health killed 780 chickens at the poultry farm following the confirmation, officials said on Tuesday.
Around 150 crates of eggs and six sacks of feeds stored at the farm were also destroyed as part of preventive measures.
The decision to kill the fowls was taken by the meeting of district co-ordination committee headed by Chief District Officer (CDO) held yesterday.
According to officials out of 2,000 chickens at the farm, 1,200 had already died of infection from the virus.
After a sudden spurt in deaths of the birds, samples were sent to an animal health laboratory for examination.
Though the laboratory had confirmed the presence of the flu virus on Saturday, the chickens were culled only yesterday.
"The preparation for culling chickens takes at least two days," said Dr Narayan Prasad Ghimire, a senior veterinary officer at Department of Animal Health.
Authorities began disinfecting the area today.
"Surveillance will be intensified and veterinary officials deployed to monitor other poultry farms close to Khadka`s," he said.
High alert was issued in and around Kathmandu to prevent the spreading of the virus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM