Hackers attack Malaysian government websites
Kuala Lumpur: Over 50 Malaysian
government websites have been attacked by unknown hackers
despite measures taken by the authorities to protect them.
"These attacks started at approximately 11.30 pm
yesterday. We are able to confirm that 51 government websites
were attacked and there has been disruption at various levels
to at least 41 of those websites," the Malaysian Communication
and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) said.
"However, we do not expect the overall recovery to
these websites to take long as most websites have already
recovered from the attack.
"Our monitoring of the situation showed that there was
a reduced level of attacks by 4.00 am this morning (Thursday)
and upon further evaluation, so far we gauge that there has
been little impact on Malaysian users as a result of this
attack," MCMC statement said.
The statement added that the public should report any
information they may have regarding the identity of these
hackers as the act to disrupt network services is a serious
offence, which is punishable by law. It added that the attempt
to hack MCMC`s website was not successful.
Local websites had been hacked ahead of the deadline
set by a foreign-based hacker group, Anonymous, that said it
would attack the Malaysian Government portal at 3.30 am today,
according to reports.
The Sabah Tourism website has since then gone offline.
Another website hacked was www.cidb.gov.my, which belongs to
the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB).
It was defaced with a long message that scolded the
Government for censoring the Internet. However, a while later,
the site was back to normal.
CyberSecurity Malaysia, responsible for the nation`s
borders in cyberspace, confirmed that several websites were
hacked. But it declined to say how many and which were the
The group had said in a Youtube posting that it was
acting against the various forms of censorship by the
Malaysian government and the recent move to block 10
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview