Hackers hit security think tank Stratfor`s website
London: Hackers on Monday claimed to have stolen a raft of e-mails and credit card data from US-based security think tank Stratfor, promising it was just the start of a weeklong Christmas-inspired assault on a long list of targets.
One alleged hacker said the goal was to use the credit data to steal a million dollars and give it away as Christmas donations.
Members of the loose-knit hacking movement known as "Anonymous" posted a link on Twitter to what they said was Stratfor`s tightly-guarded, confidential client list. Among the list: The US Army, the US Air Force and the Miami Police Department.
The rest of the list, which Anonymous said was a small slice of its 200 gigabytes worth of plunder, included banks, law enforcement agencies, defense contractors and technology
firms such as Apple and Microsoft.
"Not so private and secret anymore?" the group taunted in a message on the microblogging site.
Anonymous said it was able to get the credit details in part because Stratfor didn`t bother encrypting them, an easy-to-avoid blunder which, if true, would be a major
embarrassment for any security-related company.
Stratfor said in an email to members that it had suspended its servers and email after learning that its website had been hacked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read