Hackers stole USD 45 million in ATM card breach
New York: A gang of cyber criminals operating in 26 countries stole USD 45 million by hacking their way into a database of prepaid debit cards, federal prosecutors in New York said on Thursday.
US attorney in Brooklyn, Loretta Lynch, called it "a massive 21st-century bank heist" and said the fraudsters had moved with astounding speed to loot financial institutions around the world.
Seven people are under arrest in the US in connection with the case, which prosecutors said involved thousands of thefts from ATMs using bogus magnetic swipe cards. An eighth person accused of involvement in the US thefts, Alberto Yusi Lajud-Pena, was reportedly murdered in the Dominican Republic late last month, prosecutors said.
An indictment unsealed on Thursday accused the eight of being members of the New York cell of a global theft operation. It said they withdrew USD 2.8 million in cash from hacked accounts in less than a day.
Prosecutors said the scheme involved two worldwide attacks in which hackers obtained debit card data, eliminated withdrawal limits on the accounts, and then sent a network of operatives fanning out across multiple cities to rapidly withdraw money.
Law enforcement agencies in Japan, Canada, Germany, Romania and 12 other countries have been involved in the investigation, US prosecutors said. Arrests began in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy