Hagel calls Egyptian counterpart to discuss security situation
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has called his Egyptian counterpart to discuss the current security situation in the country and progress on the political roadmap, said Pentagon Press Secretary George Little.
Egyptian Defence Minister Gen Abdul Fatah al-Sisi yesterday updated Hagel on security developments, including the Sinai peninsula, and stressed the importance of the US-Egyptian partnership against violent extremists.
"Hagel acknowledged Egyptian accomplishments in providing security in the Sinai and declared that the US stands with Egypt and all nations against terrorism worldwide," Little said.
Hagel and Al Sisi also discussed the situation in Syria, and its implications for security and stability in the region.
"Hagel expressed appreciation for Al Sisi`s insights," Little said.
Meanwhile, the United States has strongly condemned the assassination attempt against the interim Interior Minister in Egypt.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those who lost their lives. We also wish a speedy recovery to all those who suffered injuries," said State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki.
She said the perpetrators of this heinous attack must be brought to justice.
"We understand the facts are still emerging and we don`t know yet who is responsible, but we know the Egyptian Government is continuing to look into these events," Psaki said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday