Hagel calls Egyptian defence minister on Coptic Christians
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has called his Egyptian counterpart Gen Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, on Coptic Christians who have been impacted by recent violence in the Arab country.
"Al-Sisi and Hagel discussed Egyptian efforts to secure and rebuild Coptic Christian communities impacted by violence and to maintain security on the Sinai Peninsula," the Pentagon Press Secretary, George Little, said on Tuesday.
"Hagel urged Al-Sisi to continue to take steps to demonstrate the interim government`s commitment to advance the political roadmap," Little said after the telephonic conversation between the two leaders.
Meanwhile, the State Department opposed the arrest of spokesperson of Muslim brotherhood and called on the Egyptian government to move forward on an inclusive process that brings representatives from all sides into the process.
"As we have consistently said, we are opposed to all politicised arrests, of course, including this one and detention, and remain focused on encouraging the interim government to move forward on an inclusive process that brings representatives from all sides into the process," the State Department spokesperson, Jen Psaki, told reporters at her daily news conference.
"The Egyptian government has a responsibility to protect all Egyptians and create an atmosphere that supports a process of political transition that is inclusive and has maximum participation from the Egyptian people.So our position has been consistently the same," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015