Hagel discusses North Korean threat with Chinese counterpart
Washington: US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel today discussed with his new Chinese counterpart General Chang Wanquan the emerging threat from North Korea, which has threatened to hit American bases in Hawaii and Guam.
"The secretary emphasised the growing threat to the US and our allies posed by North Korea`s aggressive pursuit of nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs and expressed to General Chang the importance of sustained US-China dialogue and cooperation on these issues," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said after the telephonic call between the two leaders.
Congratulating Gen Chang on his new position, Hagel said that he looks forward to hearing the results of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Marty Dempsey`s trip to China later this month and invited Chang to visit the US to continue senior level military-to-military onsultations.
Little said the two leaders expressed their intention to work together to continue to build military-to-military ties that serves the vision of the President of the US and China.
"The secretary discussed the importance of focusing on areas of sustained dialogue, practical areas of cooperation, and risk reducing measures," Little said.
Earlier, Hagel and Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter met with Albert Del Rosario, Philippines Secretary of Foreign Affairs at the Pentagon.
"The Secretary said he was pleased with the progress being made toward an increased rotational presence for the US military in the Philippines," Little said.
"They discussed US capacity building to support the Armed Forces of the Philippines modernization plans and regional security issues including the South China Sea, recent violence in Sabah, and North Korea," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery