Hagel lands in Kabul amid chaos over security deal
Kabul: US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel arrived in Afghanistan on Saturday amid a stand-off between the US and Afghan leaders over a security agreement that President Hamid Karzai is still refusing to sign.
Hagel`s unannounced visit puts him in the center of the chaos. However, he may have little impact on the matter during his stop because he`s not planning to meet with Karzai.
The US has made its position on the security agreement clear. And Karzai tentatively has endorsed the deal, but refuses to sign it.
Karzai says he wants his successor to decide on the agreement after the April 5 elections. Washington and NATO officials say they want a decision soon.
Without a signed agreement, US troops would leave at the end of next year, along with all foreign forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'