Haiti again postpones Presidential Election results
Port-au-Prince: Haiti election officials postponed for the second time on Saturday the release of general election results due to disputes over some legislative races, officials said.
Originally due Saturday, the results were first pushed back to Monday and are now set to be released two days later, they said.
"Due to the high number of disputed ballots, the Provisional Electoral Council has been forced to postpone to Wednesday, April 20, 2011 the announcement of final election results," the body said in a statement.
Preliminary presidential results published on April 04 effectively gave victory to candidate Michel Martelly, a popular singer and former carnival entertainer, with 67.57 percent of the vote in a March 20 run-off against former first lady Mirlande Manigat, who finished with 31.74 percent.
Manigat has said she will not challenge the result, despite denouncing an "electoral hold-up" and declaring she was "outraged" for the country she loved.
The delay appears to result from the scores of legislative challenges across the impoverished Caribbean nation where supporters of various candidates have demonstrated, sometimes violently, in claims of victory.
Election tribunals have received numerous complaints from losing candidates in localities where elections were very tight.
On Friday, outgoing president Rene Preval hosted Martelly in his private residence in the hills above Port-au-Prince, in the first meeting between the two men since the electoral process began.
No details have officially emerged from the meeting, but a close Martelly associate said that the formation of transition teams to prepare for the handover of power was underway.
Haiti`s new president is to take office on May 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in