Haiti again postpones Presidential Election results
Port-au-Prince: Haiti election officials postponed for the second time on Saturday the release of general election results due to disputes over some legislative races, officials said.
Originally due Saturday, the results were first pushed back to Monday and are now set to be released two days later, they said.
"Due to the high number of disputed ballots, the Provisional Electoral Council has been forced to postpone to Wednesday, April 20, 2011 the announcement of final election results," the body said in a statement.
Preliminary presidential results published on April 04 effectively gave victory to candidate Michel Martelly, a popular singer and former carnival entertainer, with 67.57 percent of the vote in a March 20 run-off against former first lady Mirlande Manigat, who finished with 31.74 percent.
Manigat has said she will not challenge the result, despite denouncing an "electoral hold-up" and declaring she was "outraged" for the country she loved.
The delay appears to result from the scores of legislative challenges across the impoverished Caribbean nation where supporters of various candidates have demonstrated, sometimes violently, in claims of victory.
Election tribunals have received numerous complaints from losing candidates in localities where elections were very tight.
On Friday, outgoing president Rene Preval hosted Martelly in his private residence in the hills above Port-au-Prince, in the first meeting between the two men since the electoral process began.
No details have officially emerged from the meeting, but a close Martelly associate said that the formation of transition teams to prepare for the handover of power was underway.
Haiti`s new president is to take office on May 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo