Haiti again postpones Presidential Election results
Port-au-Prince: Haiti election officials postponed for the second time on Saturday the release of general election results due to disputes over some legislative races, officials said.
Originally due Saturday, the results were first pushed back to Monday and are now set to be released two days later, they said.
"Due to the high number of disputed ballots, the Provisional Electoral Council has been forced to postpone to Wednesday, April 20, 2011 the announcement of final election results," the body said in a statement.
Preliminary presidential results published on April 04 effectively gave victory to candidate Michel Martelly, a popular singer and former carnival entertainer, with 67.57 percent of the vote in a March 20 run-off against former first lady Mirlande Manigat, who finished with 31.74 percent.
Manigat has said she will not challenge the result, despite denouncing an "electoral hold-up" and declaring she was "outraged" for the country she loved.
The delay appears to result from the scores of legislative challenges across the impoverished Caribbean nation where supporters of various candidates have demonstrated, sometimes violently, in claims of victory.
Election tribunals have received numerous complaints from losing candidates in localities where elections were very tight.
On Friday, outgoing president Rene Preval hosted Martelly in his private residence in the hills above Port-au-Prince, in the first meeting between the two men since the electoral process began.
No details have officially emerged from the meeting, but a close Martelly associate said that the formation of transition teams to prepare for the handover of power was underway.
Haiti`s new president is to take office on May 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray