Haiti postpones results of presidential election
Port-au-Prince: Haitians will have
to wait at least a few more days to learn the preliminary results of their presidential election because of alleged irregularities and fraud uncovered at the vote-counting
centre, officials said.
While not disclosing specifics, Gaillot Dorsinvil, the
president of the Haiti`s Provisional Electoral Council, issued
a brief statement yesterday saying officials found a "high level" of fraud and irregularities of various kinds at the tabulation center in the capital, Port-au-Prince.
Dorsinvil said the discovery has prompted lawyers to
adopt "more stringent verification measures," causing a delay
in counting. He did not describe the alleged problems.
The preliminary results are now expected to be released Monday, according to Dorsinvil. They were expected to
be released Thursday.
International monitors, who are observing the counting
process, praised Haiti`s March 20 presidential runoff, saying
it was in sharp contrast to the Nov. 28 first round that was
marred by disorganisation and allegations of widespread fraud.
Voters chose between Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly, a
popular musician who has never held public office, and
Mirlande Manigat, a former first lady and senator and longtime
fixture on the political scene.
Haitians are eagerly awaiting the announcement of the
winner of this month`s runoff vote after last year`s first
round was delayed because of the chaos and massive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video