Haiti raises Sandy death toll to 54
Port-Au-Prince: The director of Haiti`s civil protection agency says the death toll from Hurricane Sandy is now 54. That means the toll for the Caribbean as a whole is 71.
Marie Alta Jean-Baptiste says the government has been able to revise the death toll as rivers recede and officials are able to travel through the storm-drenched southern peninsula.
The death toll had been 52. Jean-Baptiste said today that one of the new deaths occurred during a mudslide and the other was a person who drowned trying to cross a rain-swollen river.
There are still 21 people unaccounted for after the storm. Hurricane Sandy drenched the country`s south with more than 500 millimeters of rain in 24 hours. President Michel Martelly has declared a monthlong state of emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'