Haiti raises Sandy death toll to 54
Port-Au-Prince: The director of Haiti`s civil protection agency says the death toll from Hurricane Sandy is now 54. That means the toll for the Caribbean as a whole is 71.
Marie Alta Jean-Baptiste says the government has been able to revise the death toll as rivers recede and officials are able to travel through the storm-drenched southern peninsula.
The death toll had been 52. Jean-Baptiste said today that one of the new deaths occurred during a mudslide and the other was a person who drowned trying to cross a rain-swollen river.
There are still 21 people unaccounted for after the storm. Hurricane Sandy drenched the country`s south with more than 500 millimeters of rain in 24 hours. President Michel Martelly has declared a monthlong state of emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP