Haiti signs decree to create body for elections
Port-Au-Prince: Haiti`s government has taken an initial step to solve a problem that has frustrated Haitians and foreign donors alike: the failure to hold local and legislative elections on schedule.
The government of President Michel Martelly announced late yesterday that it had formed a nine-member electoral council in charge of laying out an electoral calendar and registering political parties and voters.
Haiti was supposed to hold the elections in 2011. But the authorities failed to agree on the composition on an electoral panel.
The delay has frustrated international partners in Haiti. Diplomats in recent months have stepped up pressure for the Haitian authorities to hold the vote before year`s end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant