Haitian migrant drowns, 79 detained in Bahamas
Nassau: A military official in the Bahamas says one woman drowned when a boat carrying dozens of Haitian migrants ran aground in the country.
Lt Origin Delevaux of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force says immigration authorities have detained 79 people but the exact number of people who were on board has not been established. At least six of the migrants were children.
The vessel ran aground on Tuesday along the southern tip of New Providence, the island that includes the capital of Nassau.
Many Haitians have migrated to the Bahamas in recent years to get low-wage jobs in the island chain or to try to get to the United States.
On June, 11 Haitians died when their boat capsized off the Bahamian island of Abaco as they tried to reach Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?