Haitian migrant drowns, 79 detained in Bahamas
Nassau: A military official in the Bahamas says one woman drowned when a boat carrying dozens of Haitian migrants ran aground in the country.
Lt Origin Delevaux of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force says immigration authorities have detained 79 people but the exact number of people who were on board has not been established. At least six of the migrants were children.
The vessel ran aground on Tuesday along the southern tip of New Providence, the island that includes the capital of Nassau.
Many Haitians have migrated to the Bahamas in recent years to get low-wage jobs in the island chain or to try to get to the United States.
On June, 11 Haitians died when their boat capsized off the Bahamian island of Abaco as they tried to reach Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh