Haitian migrant drowns, 79 detained in Bahamas
Nassau: A military official in the Bahamas says one woman drowned when a boat carrying dozens of Haitian migrants ran aground in the country.
Lt Origin Delevaux of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force says immigration authorities have detained 79 people but the exact number of people who were on board has not been established. At least six of the migrants were children.
The vessel ran aground on Tuesday along the southern tip of New Providence, the island that includes the capital of Nassau.
Many Haitians have migrated to the Bahamas in recent years to get low-wage jobs in the island chain or to try to get to the United States.
On June, 11 Haitians died when their boat capsized off the Bahamian island of Abaco as they tried to reach Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley