Haitian migrant drowns, 79 detained in Bahamas
Nassau: A military official in the Bahamas says one woman drowned when a boat carrying dozens of Haitian migrants ran aground in the country.
Lt Origin Delevaux of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force says immigration authorities have detained 79 people but the exact number of people who were on board has not been established. At least six of the migrants were children.
The vessel ran aground on Tuesday along the southern tip of New Providence, the island that includes the capital of Nassau.
Many Haitians have migrated to the Bahamas in recent years to get low-wage jobs in the island chain or to try to get to the United States.
On June, 11 Haitians died when their boat capsized off the Bahamian island of Abaco as they tried to reach Florida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice