Haiti`s President promises fair election
Gonaives: Haitian President Rene Preval has used his Independence Day speech to pledge that upcoming Legislative Elections will be fair.
But the yesterday speech did not address the disqualification of 15 political groups that has prompted international criticism and opposition threats to try to disrupt the February 28 vote.
The opposition accuses the presidentially-appointed electoral council of favouring Preval`s new Unity party.
Preval`s speech also promises to focus the last of his five-year term on restoring agriculture, electricity and roads in the impoverished Caribbean country.
The annual address in Gonaives marks Haiti`s on January 1, 1804, independence from France after a slave revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya