Haiti`s President promises fair election
Gonaives: Haitian President Rene Preval has used his Independence Day speech to pledge that upcoming Legislative Elections will be fair.
But the yesterday speech did not address the disqualification of 15 political groups that has prompted international criticism and opposition threats to try to disrupt the February 28 vote.
The opposition accuses the presidentially-appointed electoral council of favouring Preval`s new Unity party.
Preval`s speech also promises to focus the last of his five-year term on restoring agriculture, electricity and roads in the impoverished Caribbean country.
The annual address in Gonaives marks Haiti`s on January 1, 1804, independence from France after a slave revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Monaco Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ends his wait, Sergio Perez completes podium
- Don't know what item songs mean: Zareen Khan
- India has ability to target whole of Pakistan: Experts on AQ Khan's nuclear attack threat
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Kiran Bedi takes oath as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry