Haley rules out running for vice-presidency
Washington: Indian-American Nikki Haley, who is considered as the rising star of the Republican party on Friday ruled out running for vice-presidency in the 2012 polls, saying there are better candidates than her for the post.
"No, I would not," Haley, born to Sikh immigrants, told the CNN in an interview, when asked, if she would accept her name as a possible vice presidential running mate for the Republican candidate.
Haley, 39, who created history early this year by becoming the first non-white and woman governor of South Carolina, said, "I love being governor of South Carolina. And let`s be clear. I have a lot of things I wanted to do that I
promised to the people of South Carolina. I have been in the job eight months."
If, we are going to look at vice president, let`s look at somebody that can bring a lot of experience to the table. Let`s look on somebody that can do more. I think, we have a lot of great candidates for that, Haley said.
"What I will tell you is we have a President who now has a 71 per cent disapproval rating on the economy. We have a country that`s lost their credit rating. We have jobs that being lost overseas. And, we are now seeing that this country is in a pretty bad shape," she said.
What I do see is, we have great candidates that are going to lift us out of it and I thing, we will have great candidates for vice presidential as well, but I am not going to be one of them, she said in response to a question.
Haley said, as of now, she has not decided, who she would support as Republican party presidential candidate.
"No, it`s too soon," she said.
"What I have told everybody is now is the time, where we need to weigh in on asking them the hard questions, asking them about tax reform, asking them about energy independence, asking them on what they think we need to do for the economy, asking about foreign affairs," she said.
"This is the time we really need to be doing a lot of the listening to what their details are and what their specifics are and waiting to weigh in until we can really see what the full platform looks like," Haley added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP