Half a million signs to free Libyan rape claim woman
Nicosia: A petition demanding the release
of a young Libyan women who stormed into a Tripoli hotel full
of journalists and accused government soldiers of raping her
was well on the way to reaching its target of half a million
signatures on Saturday.
The woman, Iman al-Obeidi, achieved worldwide
celebrity after footage of her bursting into the Rixos hotel
at breakfast time last Saturday and throwing open her coat to
reveal scars and bruises on her body, was posted on the
"Words cannot express the courage Iman showed in
speaking out -- and we can only imagine the terror she must be
facing right now in the hands of (Moamer) Kadhafi`s infamous
thugs," said Avaaz.org, organiser of the online campaign.
As she screamed: "Film me, film me, show the whole
world all they did to me," she was dragged off by security
guards amid scenes of mayhem while foreign journalists who
tried to intervene were shoved aside.
"They tied me up and abused me for two days," she said
of regime troops manning a Tripoli checkpoint adding they
targetted her because she came from the rebel-stronghold of
Benghazi, where the insurgency against Kadhafi erupted.
The petition, which had garnered the support of some
437,500 people by today afternoon, will be delivered by hand
to the Turkish consulate in Benghazi as soon as it reaches its
target of 500,000 signatures.
It is addressed to the Turkish government because
"Kadhafi will ignore most international outrage, but he
listened to the Turkish government when they asked him to
release foreign journalists."
Facebook groups in support of Obeidi have mushroomed
Government spokesman Musa Ibrahim had said the
investigation was continuing as some of the troops lodged a
complaint for defamation and because "she has refused to
undergo medical examination" to prove she had been raped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day