Half-brother of UK MP charged with 1970s child sex abuse
London: The half-brother of a senior lawmaker in UK Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservative party was charged today over allegations of historic sex abuse of a child, police said.
Charles Napier, 67, the half-brother of MP John Whittingdale, was charged along with another man over alleged offences committed against an 11-year-old victim in the late 1970s.
Napier, from Dorset in southwest England, has been charged with one count of inciting a child to commit an act of gross indecency and will appear in court in London on July 29.
With him in court will be Richard Alston, 69, from Suffolk in eastern England, who was charged with five counts of indecent assault and three counts of gross indecency with a child.
The two men were charged under a police investigation that opened in 2012, one of several into historical sexual abuse of children.
The issue has risen to prominence in Britain following revelations that late BBC presenter Jimmy Saville was a serial sex offender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH