Half of Russia sees foreign meddling in Syria
Moscow: Almost half of Russians -- 46 percent -- believe that the Syrian conflict is the result of interference by hostile foreign powers seeking to increase their influence in the Middle East or to weaken Syria.
According to a public survey published Friday by Russia`s state-run VTsIOM pollster, only 19 percent of those polled describe the Syrian crisis as a popular uprising against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
More than one third -- 34 percent -- of respondents were undecided on the nature of the conflict.
The poll also showed that the majority of Russians seem not to care what is going on in Syria. Less than half of those polled -- 44 percent -- said they were following the events in the Middle Eastern country, and those were mainly elderly Russians.
Eight percent of them said they follow the events closely and another 37 percent said they know about the situation in general.
But 52 percent, most of them young people, said they were not interested in the conflict.
More than 17,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of the unrest in March 2011, according to UN estimates based on Syrian activist accounts. Thousands have fled their homes.
While the Russian government is widely seen in the West as a staunch supporter of Assad, the majority of ordinary Russians -- 57 percent -- say they support neither the Syrian government, nor the insurgents fighting to end more than 40 years of the Assad family`s rule.
Among those who have taken a clear stance on the conflict, 14 percent support the Syrian government and 11 percent favour the rebel cause. Another 19 percent could not define their position.
The poll conducted July 7-8 involved 1,600 people in 138 locations spread across 46 regions.
Russia, along with China, has vetoed three Western-backed UN Security Council resolutions against Assad, citing a pro-rebel bias. Moscow insists it has no special interest in seeing Assad remain in power, but said that the "Syrian people" must decide his fate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide