Half-Saudi children will enjoy same rights as Saudis
Riyadh: Children born to expatriates, who have married Saudi women, will be treated as Saudis for work, education and medical purposes, Sulaiman Al-Yahya, director-general of Saudi Arabia`s passports department said.
They can also reside in the country and will be allowed to work in the private sector without transferring their residency permits, Arab News reported Thursday.
The statement was issued after several half-Saudis, especially girls on their mother’s sponsorship, expressed fear of deportation following the death of their mothers, the report said.
"These privileges are contingent upon the approval of the original marriage contract and the children being in possession of IDs,” Al-Yahya was quoted as saying.
"This decision comes in accordance with a decree issued by the council of ministers in 2012," he said.
"Expatriates children who had transferred their sponsorships onto their mothers following this decision and prior to their mother’s death will be treated as Saudis," he said.
"Expatriates who had not transferred their sponsorships prior to their mother’s death will, however, remain under the sponsorship of their companies until a decision is issued by a jurisdictive body," he added.
Half-Saudis are also included in nationalisation quotas in the private sector.
Expatriates married to Saudi women can also reside in the country on their wives’ sponsorship provided the original marriage contract had been approved by local authorities, the report said.
At least 2.8 million Indians live in Saudi Arabia, accounting for the largest expatriate community in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack