Halt killings or face consequences: Hillary to Syria
Istanbul: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Sunday urged members of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s government to halt operations targeting civilians, or face "serious consequences".
"Our message must be clear to those who give the orders and those who carry them out: Stop killing your fellow citizens or you will face serious consequences," Hillary said in prepared remarks at a conference on the Syrian conflict in Istanbul.
"Your countrymen will not forget, and neither will the international community," she added.
Hillary also said the United States was providing communications equipment to Syria`s civilian opposition.
"We are discussing with our international partners how best to expand this support," she said. While the Obama administration has called on Assad to accept a new peace plan proposed by United Nations-Arab League special envoy Kofi Annan, the United States has so far shown little appetite for arming the rebels or intervening militarily along the lines of the NATO-led operation in Libya last year.
"Nearly a week has gone by, and we have to conclude that the regime is adding to its long list of broken promises," Hillary said of the Assad government`s delay in implementing the peace plan from UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan despite apparently accepting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars