Hamas executes prisoner for murder: Interior Ministry
Gaza City (Palestinian Territories): The Gaza Strip`s Islamist rulers Hamas on Wednesday hanged a prisoner who had been convicted of murder, its interior ministry said.
"At 4:30 pm (2000 IST) on October 2, the death penalty was carried out against Hani Mohammed Abu Aliyan from Khan Yunis for his crime of killing Hazem Hassan Barham," the ministry said in a statement.
"The Khan Yunis court (in the north of Gaza) sentenced the aforementioned for the crimes he committed (which included the murder and illegal possession of a knife) to death by hanging".
The Palestinian territory`s appeals court had rejected challenges against the sentence, said the ministry.
The execution was carried out in front of "concerned parties" and "the elite of Palestinian society," it added, without giving further details.
Rights groups had called for Hamas to halt Abu Aliyan`s execution, as well as that of another prisoner who was sentenced in March for "collaboration" with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt