Hamas executes prisoner for murder: Interior Ministry
Gaza City (Palestinian Territories): The Gaza Strip`s Islamist rulers Hamas on Wednesday hanged a prisoner who had been convicted of murder, its interior ministry said.
"At 4:30 pm (2000 IST) on October 2, the death penalty was carried out against Hani Mohammed Abu Aliyan from Khan Yunis for his crime of killing Hazem Hassan Barham," the ministry said in a statement.
"The Khan Yunis court (in the north of Gaza) sentenced the aforementioned for the crimes he committed (which included the murder and illegal possession of a knife) to death by hanging".
The Palestinian territory`s appeals court had rejected challenges against the sentence, said the ministry.
The execution was carried out in front of "concerned parties" and "the elite of Palestinian society," it added, without giving further details.
Rights groups had called for Hamas to halt Abu Aliyan`s execution, as well as that of another prisoner who was sentenced in March for "collaboration" with Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security