Hamas Gaza chief calls for new violent uprising
Gaza City: Gaza`s Hamas chief is calling for a renewed violent uprising against Israel. Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh called today on all Palestinian factions to oppose the recently restarted peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians and take up "armed resistance."
Israel is negotiating with the West Bank government of President Mahmoud Abbas. The Islamic militant group Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, does not recognise Israel and calls for its destruction.
It was responsible for scores of suicide bombings and other attacks against Israel last decade.
Israel recently discovered a pair of tunnels from Gaza it says was aimed at carrying out attacks.
Haniyeh spoke on the second anniversary of a prisoner swap with Israel that freed more than a thousand Palestinians in exchange for captive Israeli soldier Gilad Schalit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video