Hamas leader in Saudi Arabia: Report
Riyadh: Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal was in Saudi Arabia on Sunday to meet with officials in a possible bid to narrow the rift between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, an official source said.
"He arrived today. The visit is aimed at helping Palestinian reconciliation," a senior Foreign Ministry official said.
Any visit by the Islamist group Hamas, which is backed by Iran, to Saudi Arabia, which backs the more secular party Fatah, may be viewed as a Saudi effort to extend an olive branch to Hamas.
President Mahmoud Abbas`s Palestinian Authority runs the Israeli-occupied West Bank while its Hamas opponents seized control of the Gaza Strip in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH