Hamas leader Meshaal demands end to occupation
Washington: The leader of Hamas is demanding anew that Israel end its occupation of Gaza and the West Bank.
Khaled Meshaal said in an interview broadcast today that he believes the world hasn`t taken an even-handed view of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
"Unfortunately the world doesn`t blame the Israelis," said Meshaal, interviewed by CBS news anchor Charlie Rose from Cairo.
Meshaal complained that Palestinians too frequently have to hear pleas for the security of the Jewish state, asking "why don`t you give it to Palestinians?"
Asked if Hamas believes there`s only a military solution to the longstanding regional conflict, he said, "As a Palestinian, I want to be liberalised. I want to live without occupation."
"Did you not kick the British out," he asked Rose, speaking through a translator. He called occupation "the worst thing you can imagine."
Asked point-blank if he would recognise Israel`s right to exist, Meshaal replied, "No."
"I can`t co-exist with occupation. Without occupation, you can co-exist," he said. "I`m ready to co-exist with the Jews, with the Christians and with the Arabs and non-Arabs."
Yet, Meshaal declined to say whether he would recognise Israel if it withdrew from the territories.
"I said I do not want to live with a state of occupiers," he said. "One would have a Palestinian state, then the Palestinian state will decide on its policies."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview