Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran
Gaza: Prime Minister of the Hamas authority in Gaza, Ismail Haniyeh accepted Saturday an Iranian invitation to attend the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit, despite the protest by the Palestinian leadership, a spokesman for Haniyeh said.
Taher Al-Nouno, the spokesman, said in a short statement that Haniyeh has accepted Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s invitation to attend the summit next week.
Earlier this week, an official from President Mahmoud Abbas` Fatah party, Jebril al-Rjoub, told Xinhua that "The Palestinian leadership will not participate in the summit if Haniyeh was invited as a Palestinian official or as Prime Minister."
Iran is considered the main sponsor of Hamas, the Islamic movement that routed pro-Abbas forces and took over the Gaza Strip in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years