Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran
Gaza: Prime Minister of the Hamas authority in Gaza, Ismail Haniyeh accepted Saturday an Iranian invitation to attend the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit, despite the protest by the Palestinian leadership, a spokesman for Haniyeh said.
Taher Al-Nouno, the spokesman, said in a short statement that Haniyeh has accepted Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s invitation to attend the summit next week.
Earlier this week, an official from President Mahmoud Abbas` Fatah party, Jebril al-Rjoub, told Xinhua that "The Palestinian leadership will not participate in the summit if Haniyeh was invited as a Palestinian official or as Prime Minister."
Iran is considered the main sponsor of Hamas, the Islamic movement that routed pro-Abbas forces and took over the Gaza Strip in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days