Hamas says to privatise Gaza crossing
Gaza City: The Gaza Strip`s militant Hamas rulers have said they plan to let private contractors take over the running of the Palestinian territory`s border crossings with Egypt and Israel.
"The government is to give the private sector the opportunity to handle the technical management of crossing points from the Gaza Strip," Hamas deputy prime minister Ziad al-Zaza told AFP yesterday and said that a commission of seven businessmen would be dedicated to the project.
"Supervision of all terminals will be under government control," said Zaza, who is also finance minister.
The coastal strip, whose air and sea lanes are blocked by Israel, has three land crossings; Erez and Kerem Shalom with Israel and Rafah with Egypt.
Kerem Shalom is for goods only, while Erez and Rafah are for passenger traffic.
Although Hamas ousted the western-backed Palestinian Authority from Gaza in 2007 PA officials continue to coordinate the work of the crossings with Israel.
Israel does not have direct political or economic ties with Hamas which it defines as "a terrorist organisation."
Hamas MPs, who hold the majority of seats in the Palestinian parliament -- met in special session in a tent at Rafah today to demand that Egypt lift border crossing restrictions.
"We are here in front of the Rafah terminal to ask our brothers in Egypt to open Rafah to goods and persons," deputy parliament speaker Ahmad Bahar said.
Egypt imposed the restrictions as part of a campaign by its security forces against jihadists in the lawless Sinai Peninsula, which borders Gaza and Israel.
Exit through Israel is strictly controlled, with permits mainly limited to "medical and humanitarian" cases.
Entry of goods to Gaza from Israel is also limited, with passage barred to a range of "controlled items" which Israel deems could be used by militants to make weapons or build fortifications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read