Hamas speaker of Palestinian Parliament released
Ramallah: Hamas says Israel has released one of the Islamic militant movement`s most senior members, the speaker of the now-defunct Palestinian Parliament.
Baha Mahmoud, an aide, says Abdel Aziz Dweik, 64, was freed today after serving six months without charges. Israel`s military had no comment.
Hamas defeated the Fatah movement of internationally backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in 2006 parliament elections. After the vote, Israel began arresting Hamas legislators in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, occupied lands under Israeli control.
Hamas says 17 of the movement`s 45 West Bank legislators are currently in prison. Dweik previously served 33 months of a three-year sentence for belonging to Hamas, considered a terror organisation by Israel and the West.
The Palestinian parliament stopped functioning after Hamas seized Gaza from Abbas in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre