Hamas squeezed between Iron Dome and steel wall
Gaza City: Gaza`s Hamas rulers have suffered back-to-back setbacks with Israel`s successful test of a rocket shield and Egypt`s push to block smuggling tunnels.
The Iron Dome rocket defence system, reportedly to be deployed near Gaza in May, would deprive Hamas of its main leverage against Israel - the threat of rocket salvos. Egypt`s underground anti-tunnel barrier of steel beams, now under construction, could eventually cut Hamas` supply of cash and weapons.
The looming double squeeze is poised to limit Hamas` options and change the rules of engagement on Gaza`s volatile, blockaded borders.
However, the Islamic militants remain firmly entrenched in the territory they seized from their Western-backed Fatah rivals in 2007.
Hamas has already struck back against the steel wall by trying to rally public opinion against Egypt and experts warn Hamas could attempt to renew suicide attacks in Israel if rockets are intercepted.
Hamas "can adjust to any new circumstances," said Ahmed Yousef, an official in the group, without giving specifics. He said more pressure on the movement would only make it more popular.
In recent years, Hamas, Israel and Egypt have been locked in a violent impasse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco