Hamas squeezed between Iron Dome and steel wall
Gaza City: Gaza`s Hamas rulers have suffered back-to-back setbacks with Israel`s successful test of a rocket shield and Egypt`s push to block smuggling tunnels.
The Iron Dome rocket defence system, reportedly to be deployed near Gaza in May, would deprive Hamas of its main leverage against Israel - the threat of rocket salvos. Egypt`s underground anti-tunnel barrier of steel beams, now under construction, could eventually cut Hamas` supply of cash and weapons.
The looming double squeeze is poised to limit Hamas` options and change the rules of engagement on Gaza`s volatile, blockaded borders.
However, the Islamic militants remain firmly entrenched in the territory they seized from their Western-backed Fatah rivals in 2007.
Hamas has already struck back against the steel wall by trying to rally public opinion against Egypt and experts warn Hamas could attempt to renew suicide attacks in Israel if rockets are intercepted.
Hamas "can adjust to any new circumstances," said Ahmed Yousef, an official in the group, without giving specifics. He said more pressure on the movement would only make it more popular.
In recent years, Hamas, Israel and Egypt have been locked in a violent impasse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened