Hamas urged to abide by ceasefire with Israel
Gaza: UN`s special envoy to the Middle East has urged Hamas to abide by the Egyptian-brokered ceasefire with Israel for the interest of people in the Gaza Strip, Xinhua reported.
"Our message today to the Hamas leadership is also to abide by its commitment to stop all hostilities, including rocket attacks and attacks along the border," said Robert Serry Sunday. "This would be an important step for Hamas towards becoming a partner of peace."
The UN envoy also called on Israel to abide by the understandings of the ceasefire, which was reached last Wednesday and ended eight days of Israeli air strikes in Gaza and rocket attacks into Israel.
Serry, who visited Gaza for hours, urged Israel to "exercise utmost restraint."
The Israeli aerial offensive killed 168 Palestinians, while six Israelis were killed by Palestinian rocket fire.
The US and most of European countries deem Hamas a terrorist organisation for refusing to recognise Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP