Hamas urged to abide by ceasefire with Israel
Gaza: UN`s special envoy to the Middle East has urged Hamas to abide by the Egyptian-brokered ceasefire with Israel for the interest of people in the Gaza Strip, Xinhua reported.
"Our message today to the Hamas leadership is also to abide by its commitment to stop all hostilities, including rocket attacks and attacks along the border," said Robert Serry Sunday. "This would be an important step for Hamas towards becoming a partner of peace."
The UN envoy also called on Israel to abide by the understandings of the ceasefire, which was reached last Wednesday and ended eight days of Israeli air strikes in Gaza and rocket attacks into Israel.
Serry, who visited Gaza for hours, urged Israel to "exercise utmost restraint."
The Israeli aerial offensive killed 168 Palestinians, while six Israelis were killed by Palestinian rocket fire.
The US and most of European countries deem Hamas a terrorist organisation for refusing to recognise Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal