Hammond named as UK defence secretary
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron has appointed Conservative Philip Hammond as his new defence secretary, Sky News said on Friday, filling a gap left by the resignation of Liam Fox.
Hammond, regarded as a safe pair of hands who had held the Transport Ministry briefly, will oversee Britain`s military operations in Afghanistan and Libya as well as sweeping, cost-cutting reforms to the military.
Fox resigned on Friday following a scandal over his close ties to a businessman who posed as his unofficial adviser, dealing a blow to Cameron`s Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'